Friday, November 1, 2013

Casual Friday: Royal Bedchamber

Friday, November 1, 2013
Loretta reports:

A friend recently returned from London reported happily on an exhibition at Hampton Court Palace, “Secrets of the Royal Bedchamber.” 

As one who only a few years ago discovered Hampton Court Palace’s delights (blogs here and here and here, and here and here, for instance) and who spent some time studying the royal bedrooms (and the lavatories), I was very excited to visit online.  The Historic Royal Palaces website offers several wonderful, short videos about the exhibition, as well information about how to conserve your own precious objects.

This made it hard to choose among the riches.  But I thought our Nerdy History readers would be as fascinated as I was by the painstaking methods used to conserve a bed rail.








Readers who receive our blog via email might see a rectangle, square, or nothing where the video ought to be.  To watch the video, please click on the title to this post.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

I saw this exhibition recently and loved it--truly evocative, one of the best I've come across. Thanks for the link to this fascinating clip!

Deana Sidney said...

I got a great below stairs tour of the kitchen there and was mad for it but haven't been upstairs in ages. What a remarkable thing... can't wait to see the bedrail finished. Thanks for this, ladies!

Sandra said...

One of my life list items is a private tour of Hampton Court Palace. I KNOW it's a cliche to be fascinated by the Tudors but I am.

Have you read the two Hilary Mantel books?

 
Two Nerdy History Girls. Design by Pocket